Third builds a PiOne: Part 2

This is the 2nd and final post for the PiOne project, if you missed the first post see it here

During the 2nd stage of the build I ran into a few problems, including realisation that the PSone case was not as roomy as I originally thought. I had cut any standoffs and other extra plastics inside the case but I still found difficulty in getting everything to fit. Previously I had used a 40pin ribbon cable to connect the Pi to the custom controller board I had made however I found that there was no way of easily manipulating the ribbon cable and this made it hard to properly position the Pi and controller board. Instead I opted to use a 40pin jumper jerky from Pimoroni, this allowed me to use only the required pins and leave this rest out, this saved a tonne of space and was able to easily manage the cables this way.

2016-07-08 17.21.28

The power button and power LED is connected to a Mausberry Circuit. I bought the one that allowed me to use the original PSone power switch and a seperate LED for power status(LEDs used). For this build I decided to change the colour of the LED from the original to Blue (No reason, just like blue!). The Switch and LED are wired around the side edge of the case to the original location under the top lid, the circuit also connects to the GPIO of the raspberry Pi to handle shutdown processes. The mausberry circuit itself is mounted at the back of the case, the micro USB place in the location of the original PSone power socket.

2016-07-29 17.36.38

Next problem I ran into was how to reroute the HDMI from the Pi seated on the right side of the case to back of the PSone case (where the multi AV out previously sat). I searched for a while trying to find the best solution, I had considered making my own cable or desoldering and extending the HDMI directly from the Pi but research told me this was a bad idea. After a while longer I found a 10cm flat HDMI Male to Female cable.

2016-07-29 17.36.42

On arrival I fitted the HDMI cable and found that it did the job perfectly. I decided to fit the top case and test it out before gluing everything in.

SNAP!!!

2016-07-23 11.44.23

Excited to get the case together I neglected to ensure that the Pi was not close to the top case standoff and this resulted in the edge of the SD card getting caught and ultimately snapped in the process. After spending hours re-configuring and setting up Retro Pi I managed to get back on track and this time I made a copy of the system image before continuing!

I added a splash screen video using a remade HD version of the original PSone boot screen (Credit: Youtube) and the final step was to load some games on and play! test.

Video of boot:

More photos:
2016-07-29 17.36.48 2016-07-29 17.37.08 2016-07-29 17.37.33 2016-07-29 17.37.37 2016-07-29 17.38.38

Useful Links:

Retro Pi GPIO Module
PSX Controller side pin-out

 

third

I make things, usually putting Raspberry Pi in things.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *