Third Builds a PiOne, or makes a PSone a PSone again…
After the Mega Pi Project I was looking at doing another retro type Raspberry Pi project. Initially I was planning to do a full conversion of an N64 however after a few emulator performance tests I decided against it.
Still itching for another retro project I set my sights on the PSone. Emulator performance in Retro Pie was good and after looking at various pin outs for the ports I decided it was possible and went ahead with purchasing the parts required.
First step was to test the controllers by wiring them up to the Raspberry Pi GPIO:
After some tinkering with the wiring and configuration I managed to get the controller working in game.
Playing Tony Hawks:
Next step was to wire up controller 2:
Here is the pin out for the Raspberry Pi (Credit: Retro Pie):
The data lines for the controller are separate using gpio labeled Pad 1 and Pad 2 and the Command, Select and Clock are combined for all controllers.
With the controllers working and configured I moved to preparing the hardware of the PSone. First step was to desoldering the components I needed from the mainboard:
Controller ports removed:
Multi AV out:
Next step was to wire up the controller ports to the ProtoHAT:
Soldering the wires to the pins of the controller port:
Controller 1 wired to board:
Board complete (Underside) :
Board complete ( Top side):
Controllers attached and ribbon cable to pi:
On the HAT I soldered a 90 degree pin header to the top side for a flatter connection with the ribbon cable to Pi (The head room in a PSone is limited!)
That’s as far as I’ve gotten so far, currently waiting for power switch circuit to wire up the PSone switch and a flat LED and a composite cable to wire up the Multi AV port.
More to come soon!